It’s that time of the year when the sun is shining bright, birds are chirping, and it’s finally time to enjoy your outdoor space. But as you step outside, you may notice that your patio chair cushions have seen better days. After years of use and abuse, your once-beautiful cushions have become worn out, faded, and even torn in some places. Don’t worry! You don’t need to throw them away just yet. With a little bit of effort and some simple supplies, you can breathe new life into your old cushions by recovering them.
1. Remove the Old Fabric: Detach the old fabric of the cushion from the foam using scissors or a craft knife. Be careful not to cut into the foam while doing this.
2. Measure and Cut New Fabric: Measure the dimensions of each cushion accurately to ensure that you get enough fabric for each seat cushion or backrest cover. Add at least an inch on all sides for seam allowance before cutting out pieces from your chosen fabric.
3. Pin and Sew: Lay down your new fabric with print facing down on a flat surface and place the foam cushion on top of it in a centered position. Fold over 1 inch of excess fabric on all four sides onto the foam pad and pin it securely in place before sewing along each edge with a sewing machine.
4. Finish Edges: Use pinking shears or zig-zag scissors to trim off any excess material around curved edges to prevent fraying.
5. Create Ties: If desired, create two ties for each cushion by cutting two 8-inch strips of coordinating fabric with print facing up for each one and folding them in half lengthwise before sewing along one side and turning them right side up using a safety pin.
6. Attach Ties (Optional): To add ties to your newly recovered cushions, use a simple sewing machine stitch to attach them to each corner of the cushion’s backside.
7. Enjoy!: Place your newly recovered seat cushions or backrest covers onto your outdoor chairs and enjoy a comfortable, stylish seating area.
Recovering patio chair cushions is a simple and easy DIY project that can save you time and money while transforming your outdoor space. With just a few steps, you will have beautiful new cushions that will make your patio or deck look inviting and colorful once again. So why not give it a try? You’ll be amazed at how much of an impact such a small project can have on the overall appearance of your outdoor seating area.